July 14, 2017 5:29pm
The IBB was flat at 0.00%, IWM was up +0.22% with the XLV +0.67% while the VIX was down -3.43% along with the XBI -0.10% …
Read more because … unless you know what happened this week; it is hard to formulate a perspective for the next!
It’s called premium content for a reason … I define insight from a real-time perspective discussing equity share pricing, attractiveness and support levels as stock pricing changes by the hour … if not the minute!
Others don’t even come close!
Pre-open indication: six (6) - 5 hits and 1 misses
I answer one question, in which company should investors commit and keep their money.
Friday’s results have implications to Monday’s sector activity as a daily report may say little or a lot and it serves as insurance that all indications are being examined and evaluated!
From the pre-open’s investor’s newsletter, “Friday seems to be a dangerous day … As being long is so dicey in this alternating market with a political news feeding frenzy.”
- Volume was sluggish than it has been in a few weeks … still all over the map; which seems high in buying yet lower in selling – the same as yesterday but, the opposite of Wednesday in most equities but, again it is a gauge of how the sector feels at the moment.
What’s keeping the sector up …?
- The thought that here is something maybe anything in the cupboard waiting to get out?
Quarterly results are due and what hasn’t been heard probably won’t until Q3!
- Let’s NOT forget the summer doldrums.
I say don’t who dismisses the sector complacency or its warning signals to our detriment - just look at the trading flow.
- I and many believed then that cell therapy will change the world of medicine!
But the sector still hasn’t gotten out of its own way … just as many losers are still public and considered potential winners.
Investors dismissed the deviations of many of the stock pricing dips and sky high valuations —it’s NOT different this time, I say—we should be ready for a sector decline if and when this market crashes which many expect.
In fact, “our” universe has evolved to the point that some of the old investment “truths” are decidedly less “true” than they were.
And all of this makes the “art” of hype - MORE EVIDENT!
The advance/decline line scenario of 43 SCGT & RT covered companies:
· The open was positive with an A/DL of 20/17 and 6 flats;
· The mid-day was positive with an A/DL of 23/16 and 4 flats;
· The close was positive with an A/DL of 20/16 and 7 flats;
Pre-open indication: six (6) - 5 hits and 1 misses
- Bellicum Pharmaceuticals (BLCM) closed down -$0.25- miss;
- bluebird bio (BLUE) closed down -$0.20 – hit;
- Intrexon (XON) closed down -$0.99 – hit;
- Juno Therapeutics (JUNO) closed down -$0.80 – hit;
- Sangamo Therapeutics (SGMO) closed up +$0.60 – hit;
- Verastem (VSTM) closed down -$0.40 – hit;
U.S. stocks closed higher on Friday, with several indexes posting all-time records.
The Dow was up 0.4%, a record high. The NASDAQ was up 0.6%, its second highest reading ever. The S&P 500 SPX was up 0.5%, notching a fresh all-time high since June 19.
For the week, the Dow was up 1% while the S&P was up 1.4% and the NASDAQ was up 2.6%.
… The CBOE Volatility Index (VIX) widely considered the best gauge of fear in the market, traded near
9.54, -0.36% … on Friday;
9.90, down -3.88% … on Thursday;
10.30, down -5.42% … on Wednesday;
10.89, down -1.71% … on Tuesday,
11.11, down -0.71% … on Monday
Welcome to another day of the sector’s roller coaster …
… The iShares Russell 2000 (IWM) indicated:
· Friday was up +0.16%
· Thursday was up +0.08%
· Wednesday was up +0.74%
· Tuesday was up +0.29%
· Monday’s down -0.43%
… The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) indicated:
· Friday was flat at 0.00%
· Thursday was up +0.76%
· Wednesday was up +0.64%
· Tuesday was up +0.67%
· Monday’s down -0.81%
The count - decliners versus gainers:
……. look at the differences in the spreads as decliners jump and %’s migrate……….
· Friday’s decliners ranged from -0.21% <BLUE> to -9.83% <VSTM> in 16 equities;
· Thursday’s decliners ranged from -0.37% <ONVO> to -8.73% <ISCO> in 20 equities;
· Wednesday’s decliners ranged from -0.13% <MESO> to -10.89% <ONCE> in 13 equities;
· Tuesday’s decliners ranged from -0.18% <BLCM> to -7.29% <VTGN> in 20 equities;
· Monday’s decliners ranged from -0.25% <RGNX> to -23.57% <IMUC> in 29 equities
………… look at the percentage’s (%) and their decreases …….
· Friday’s gainers ranged from +0.79% <ASRO> to +13.73% <NWBO> in 20 equities;
· Thursday’s gainers ranged from +0.11% <JUNO> to +1.96% <ADVM> in 18 equities;
· Wednesday’s gainers ranged from +0.50% <JUNO> to +10.75% <NWBO> in 27 equities;
· Tuesday’s gainers ranged from +0.23% <ONCE> to +16.23% <VSTM> in 19 equities;
· Monday’s gainers ranged from +0.67% <BCLI> to +16.92% <KOOL> in 11 equities;
Some of MY working trend lines or indications:
… The greatest volume to the downside: JUNO, VSTM, XON, BLUE and BCM
… Upside volume was weighted to: NWBO, SGMO, MDXG, BSTG and BLFS
… Biggest $ downside: XON, JUNO, VSTM, KITE and BLCM
… Largest $ upside: CLLS, MDXG, STML, AXGN and SGMO
… Flat: ATHX, RGNX, ONCE, AGTC, PSTI, ADVM and RENE.L
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.