February 7, 2017 12:42pm
As the NASDAQ records a new high and the sector remains mutable and continually elastic
Pricing on the downside is stronger than the upside dollar tally
I follow the dictum, quoting Churchill that “short words are best, and the old words when short are best of all.”
U.S. equities rose on Tuesday …
The NASDAQ is UP +9.91 or +0.17% to 5,672.98 and the DOW is UP +41.90 or +0.21% to 20,094.32.
A day in the life of the stem, cell, gene and regenerative therapy (SCGT & RT) sector – the advance/decline line scenario of our 43 covered companies:
- The open was negative with an A/DL of 15/27 and 1 flat;
- 10:30 am, the sector tipped positive with an A/DL of 25/18 and 0 flat;
- The mid-day stayed positive with an A/DL of 22/20 and 1 flat;
From the pre-open’s investor’s letter title, “distraught investors” are waiting for a signal!
- Reiterating, “The sector tanks, but it will recover, the market shudders, but it will adjust as it always does. However, the sector keeps throwing tantrums but what’s more problematic is the fact we’re in a liquidity vacuum.”
As I have stated, “Stem, cell, gene and regenerative equities stocks, defined as the biotech’s cheapest stalled out last year and continually this year.”
- For sector investors — who at times have trouble differentiating when “our” universe is on steroids or reflecting when the home team is going strong — the mid-day could offer little incentive to step up further.
Sure, some “things” are perking up but, watch your downside!
What will be 2017’s story, we’re still waiting for Q4/16 end-of-year results …
Indexes, the ebb and flow:
- The iShares Russell 2000 (IWM) indicated a positive +0.20% in the pre- open and was DOWN -0.55% at the mid-day.
- The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) indicated a negative -0.02% in the pre-open and was DOWN at the mid-day -0.25%
Biggest losers, so far:
- bluebird bio (BLUE) -$4.10;
- Spark therapeutics (ONCE) -$0.86;
- Regenxbio (RGNX) -$0.70;
- Bellicum Pharma (BLCM) -$0.63;
- Aduro Biotech (ADRO) -$0.32
- Stemline (STML) +$0.15;
- Cellectis SA (CLLS) -$0.17;
- Osiris (OSIR) +$0.17;
- Asterias Biosciences (NYSEMKT: AST) +$0.05;
- International Stem Cell (ISCO) +$0.06