November 7, 2018 6:20pm
After all the sell-offs and political sound waves – love the highs but, this is NOT an entry point until the volatility fades and sustainability is re-introduced balancing share pricing
Optimism might be back but, it’s trading based, not grounded in conviction or a trust foundation
… Never forget the myth of Icarus flying to close to the sun
Quarterly results closings: Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY -$10.23), Osiris (OSIR +$0.24), Regenxbio (RGNX +$4.12), Voyager Therapeutics (VYGR +$0.36) and Editas Medicine (EDIT +$1.54)
Who is defining the metrics for individual investors?
The next few trading sessions will be critical for the RegMed sector which will establish whether market reaction this month is temporary and short-lived, or if this is the start of a more fundamental correction.
I stay INDEPENDENT to give investors the “facts as placed in evidence” which seems to be MY byline! A “buck” a day keeps your portfolio in the play!
Daily analytics and metrics:
- The Dow closed up +545.29 points or +2.13% to 26,180.30
- The S&P closed up +58.44 points or +2.12% to 2,813.89
- The NASDAQ closed up + 194.79 points or +2.64% to 7,570.75
From the pre-open newsletter, “trading quarterly results is like kicking a can down the road in this market thus procrastinating in dealing with a miss or a beat of expectation while pondering those without any guidance or estimate.”
The advance/decline line scenario of 45 covered companies:
- The open was positive with an A/DL of 28/16 and 1 flats;
- The mid-day was positive with an A/DL of 29/16 and 0 flats;
- The close was positive with an A/DL of 32/12 and 1 flat;
Five (5) key metrics:
… Greatest volume to the downside: MDXG, HSGX, BOLD, ALNY and ATHX
… Upside volume was weighted to: VCEL, VSTM, ADVM, SGMO and GBT
… Weakness ($) to the downside: ALNY (-$10.23), BOLD (-$5.33), MDXG (-$2.56), SLDB (-$1.77) and BLUE (-$1.24)
… Best moves ($) to the upside: RGNX (+$4.12), CRSP (+$3.79(, ONCE (+$3.73), BMRN (+$2.48) and QURE (+$2.27)
… The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) closed:
- Wednesday was up +2.3% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Tuesday was up +0.44% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Monday was down -0.06% after indicating a positive +0.13% in the pre-market;
- Friday was up +0.03% after indicating a negative -0.06% in the pre-market;
- Thursday was up +3.84 % after indicating a positive +0.9% in the pre-market;
- Last Wednesday was up +0.42% after indicating a positive +0.4% in the pre-market;
Sector equities closed higher on Wednesday after the midterm election results came in about as expected, lifting a cloud of uncertainty that was weighing on the market.
At least, my beginning month calls of HSGX (-$0.026 to $0.535) – after a “sucker’s bet financing, Monday’s call of BLUE (-$1.24 to $133.67) …
Tuesday’s ATHX call posting re the reporting and Helios deal negations ATHX (-$0.08 to $1.96) didn’t go UNHEEDED!
While BOLD (-$5.33 to $24.23) missed expectation
SAGE fulfilled my BUY call, finally as well as GBT (+$2.05 to $41.69 after Tuesday’s $39.64 and Monday’s $38.52 which also surpassed expectation
I FRET about VCEL’s upside journey (yesterday’s $5.11 and today’s $0.44) – reminds me of Icarus’ myth!
CLBS was down -$0.10 to $4.89, 10/31 saw $4.67 – having seen a low of $4.29 and a high of $5.77. CLBS reports tomorrow – spending (G&A, R&D in their polo pony pricy HQ) will be up
I also believe (*MY opinion*) that Biostage (BSTG) is still a ship ready to sink by the continuation of a “diseased” management team that mismanaged an opportunity by not being truthful of their internal conditions and unaware of financing effects – let’s not forget the terminal death suit!
CUR and KOOL ought to be flushed away!
Crispers bounced-back … still trading vehicles:
- CRSP was up +$3.79 (-10.81%) to $38.85 after Tuesday’s -$1.26 (-3.47%) to $35.06 after Monday’s -$0.48 (-1.30%) to $36.32;'
- EDIT was up +$1.54 (+5.69%) after Tuesday’s -$0.72 (-2.59%) to $27.08 after Monday’s - $0.08 or -0.29%;
- NTLA was up +$0.94 (+0.94) after Tuesday’s -$0.64 (-3.35%) to $18.45 after Monday’s +$0.09 (+0.47%) to $19.09
- Review the range of the 32 upside from +0.49% (CLLS) to +14.93% (VSTM) while the 12 downside ranged from -0.92% (BLUE) to -41.16% (MDXG) with 1 flat closes (FIXX).
Increasing volume stat:
- 16 out of 32 of the upside had higher (than the 3 month average) volume
- 6 out of the 12 downside experienced greater volume (than the 3 month average).
Wednesday closed POSITIVE with 12 decliners, 32 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed NEGATIVE with 22 decliners, 21 advancers and 2 flats;
Monday closed NEGATIVE with 35 decliners, 7 advancers and 3 flats;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 20 decliners, 22 advancers and 3 flats;
Thursday (11/1) closed POSITIVE with 3 decliners, 42 advancers and 0 flat;
- In 23 sessions in October – there were 17 negative closes and 6 positive closes
- In 19 sessions in September – there were 10 negative closes and 9 positive close;
- In 21 August sessions – 6 had negative and 15 had positive closes
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.