February 1, 2019 5:12pm
Share pricing rose with the Advance/Decline Line (A/DL) jumping
The IBB (+0.53%) exhibited a bit of hesitancy as the NASDAQ (-0.25%) dipped
After a good January; how will February follow through?
Pre-open Indication: 6 HITs and 0 MISS
RMi outlines preludes and aftermaths defining the daily dose of factors, investment thesis and objectivity!
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors.
- The Dow closed up +64.22 points or +0.26% to 25,063.89
- The S&P closed up +2.43 points or +0.09% to 2,706.53
- The NASDAQ was down -17.87 points or -0.25% to 7,263.87
The week’s history lesson, the iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) closed:
- Friday was up +0.53% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Thursday was up +1.38% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Wednesday was up +0.68% after indicating a negative -0.3% in the pre-market;
- Tuesday was up +0.20% after NOT indicating;
- Monday was down -1.99% after NOT indicating;
- Last Friday was up +1.53% after indicating a positive +0.33% in the pre-open;
Pre-open indications: 6 HITs and 0 MISS
- BioTime (NYSEMKT: BTX) closed down -$0.09 - hit;
- Voyager Therapeutics (VYGR) closed up +$0.06 – hit;
- CRISPRS Therapeutics (CRSP) closed down -$0.51 – hit;
- Editas Medicine (EDIT) closed down -$0.13 – hit;
- Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA) closed down -$0.10 – hit;
- REGENXBIO (RGNX) closed up +$0.57 – hit;
The advance/decline line scenario of 45 covered companies:
- The open was negative with the A/DL to 16/29 and 0 flat;
- 1st hour jumped positive with an A/DL of 26/18 and 1 flat
- The mid-day increased positive with an A/DL of 31/12 and 2 flats;
- The close was positive with an A/DL of 29/14 and 2 flats;
Tonight’s percentage (%) indicators:
- Range of the 29 upside was +0.13% (FATE) to +11.59% (BLFS) while the 14 downside ranged from -0.04% (BSTG) to -14.90% (HSGX -$0.0310) with 2 flat closes (ATHX and PSTI).
- 6 out of the 29 upside had higher (than the 3 month average) volume
- 3 out of the 14 downside experienced greater volume (than the 3 month average)
Daily volume metrics: the VIX was down -2.72%
… Greatest volume (descending) to the downside:
- HSGX, VSTM, BTX, ONCE and EDIT
… Upside volume was weighted to:
- SGMO, ALNY, BMRN, ADRO and XON
Sector equities rose from a negative open (29 down, 16 up and 0 flat) to close positive!
There was definitely some give and takes as the sector closed positive (29 ups, 14 downs and 2 flat)
The sector i.e. - my covered companies is "thinking about what is the next catalyst" other than quarterly “earnings” starting on 2/7!
The pre-open post stated, “Navigating the sector’s share pricing; there is always data associated with disruption and influence – today’s it’s the jobs number … However, I say take a little off the table during the rounds of volatility. And in many cases return to appreciate from the surge even though there is always a purge is in the future … Key word: Circumnavigate to fund your portfolio.”
Traders sold into strength:
- Solid Biosciences (SLDB -$0.95 after Thursday’s -$0.27), Spark Therapeutics (ONCE -$0.51 after yesterday’s +$1.86), Stemline Therapeutics (STML -$0.16) and AxoGen (-$0.14)
BioTime (NYSEMKT: BTX -0.08) dived after Thursday’s -$0.01 following Wednesday’s +$0.03 and Tuesday’s +50.5% move.
The session was good to better with;
- BioLife Solutions (BLFS +$1.70), Ultragenyx (RARE +$1.23), bluebird bio (BLUE +$1.20 after Thursday’s +$3.27, Wednesday’s +$6.65, Tuesday’s-$2.80 and Monday’s -$3.53) and Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY +$1.05)
Closing FLAT …
- Were Athersys (ATHX) and Pluristem (PSTI) – both have “respect” issues.
The CRISPR peer group is slipping yet again:
- CRSP (closed down -$0.51 after Thursday’s +$0.19, Wednesday’s +$1.27 and Tuesdays-$0.20), EDIT (closed down -$0.13 after Thursday’s +$0.45, Wednesday’s +$0.99 and Tuesdays -$0.37) while NTLA (closed down -$0.10 after Thursday’s +$0.38, Wednesday’s +$0.77 after Tuesdays -$0.47) after Monday’s “shoot down” of all three equities.
Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT jumped again +$0.53 after Thursday’s +$0.43 to $47.91, Wednesday’s +$2.58, Tuesday’s +$0.22 to $44.90 following Monday’s -$2.18) as it announced (post the session’s close) that data from its P1/2 study of voxelotor in patients with sickle cell disease (SCD) were published online in Blood.
Friday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 29 advancers and 2 flat;
In January – there was 22 sessions: 13 positive closes, 1 neutral, 1 holiday and 7 negative closes.
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.