February 4, 2019 5:30pm
What’s the timing of a long position - to last (?)… Until the short position builds double digits!
Also, coming and almost there – quarterly results start 2/7 (ONVO – Q3 and ALNY – Q4)
Pre-open Indication: 6 HITs and 1 MISS (VCEL <-$0.01> after a solid pre-market indication)
Financing: Biostage (BSTG -$0.05) issued warrants to purchase 3,108,000 shares with an exercise price of $2.00 per share to the 12/17 Investors. On 1/31/19, BSTG instructed its transfer agent to issue 500,000 shares of its common stock to DST Capital, LLC, one of the December 2017 Investors, in connection with the exercise by such investor of a portion of the December 2017 Warrants. Such warrants are being exercised in exchange for the payment to BSTG of the aggregate cash exercise price of $1 M.
It’s not hard to be right so often, I start early, stay involved and leave late!
RMi outlines preludes and aftermaths defining the daily dose of factors, investment thesis and objectivity!
Markets and indexes:
- The Dow closed up +175.48 points or +0.70% to 25,239.37
- The S&P closed up +18.34 points or +0.68% to 2,724.87
- The NASDAQ was up +83.67 points or +1.15% to 7,347.54
The sector rose on Monday with SAGE (+$3.08), BLUE (+$1.52), RARE (+$0.88), RGNX (+$0.87) and FIXX (+$0.720 leading their peers!
The pre-open post stated, “I have fundamental concerns within the sector; indications are subdued; news is weak, where are insiders BUYs – a sentiment indicator?”
Traders sold into strength in FATE (-$1.11) on what (?), CLLS (-$0.64), SLDB (-$0.63) – deserved, BLFS (-$0.26) – had gotten ripe to pick.
Also shuffling to a bottom: SGMO (-$0.18), MESO again (-$0.12 after Friday’s -$0.145), BTX (-$0.06), and the “usual suspects” – BSTG (-$0.05 after more dilution post Friday’s -$0.08) and PSTI (-$0.03)
Closing FLAT … Organovo (ONVO) and ReNeuron (RENE.L)
With “cause” floating to the downside: Athersys (ATHX -$0.01), Biostage (BSTG -$0.05) and Pluristem (PSTI -$0.03) – each have “respect” issues.
The CRISPR peer group is popping yet again after big dive – oversold, overbought - the newest of trading “vehicles”:
- CRSP (closed up +$0.66 after Friday’s -$0.51, Thursday’s +$0.19, Wednesday’s +$1.27 and last Tuesdays-$0.20),
- EDIT (closed up +$0.31 after Friday’s -$0.13, Thursday’s +$0.45, Wednesday’s +$0.99 and last Tuesdays -$0.37) while
- NTLA (closed up +$0.47 after Friday’s -$0.10,Thursday’s +$0.38, Wednesday’s +$0.77 and last Tuesdays -$0.47)
- After the previous Monday’s “shoot down” of all three equities.
Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT jumped again +$0.36 after Friday’s +$0.53, Thursday’s +$0.43, Wednesday’s +$2.58, Tuesday’s +$0.22 to $44.90 following last Monday’s -$2.18) – it’s getting RICH and a target.
Verastem Oncology (VSTM +$0.12) is on the move but, an aftermarket take-down of -$0.04 or -1.19%
Past session’s history lesson, the iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) closed:
- Monday was down -0.03% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Friday was up +0.53% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Thursday was up +1.38% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Wednesday was up +0.68% after indicating a negative -0.3% in the pre-market;
- Tuesday was up +0.20% after NOT indicating;
- Last Monday was down -1.99% after NOT indicating;
Pre-open indications: 6 HITs and 1 MISS
- BioLife Solutions (BLFS) – S0.39 – hit;
- BioTime (NYSEMKT: BTX) closed down -$0.075 - hit;
- uniQure NA (QURE) closed up +$0.98 – hit;
- CRISPRS Therapeutics (CRSP) closed up +0.93 – hit;
- Editas Medicine (EDIT) closed up +$0.36 – hit;
- Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA) closed up +$0.47– hit;
- Vericel (VCEL) closed down -$0.01 – miss;
The advance/decline line scenario of 45 covered companies:
- The open was positive with the A/DL to 23/20 and 1 flat;
- The mid-day increased positive with an A/DL of 27/16 and 2 flats;
- The close was positive with an A/DL of 27/16 and 2 flats;
Tonight’s percentage (%) indicators:
- Ranged of the 27 upside was +0.32% (BOLD) to +7.98% (ADVM) while the 16 downside ranged from -0.02% (CUR) to -7.32% (FATE) with 2 flat closes (ONVO and RENE.L).
- 6 out of the 27 upside had higher (than the 3 month average) volume
- 2 out of the 16 downside experienced greater volume (than the 3 month average)
Daily volume metrics:
… Greatest volume (descending) to the downside:
- FATE, BTX, CLLS, MESO and SLDB
… Upside volume was weighted to:
- BOLD, AGTC, BCLI, IONS and XON
Monday closed POSITIVE with 16 decliners, 27 advancers and 2 flat;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 29 advancers and 2 flat;
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.