February 14, 2019 5:22pm
The sector takes a hit as the uncertainty and risk of clinical data <Caladrius Bioscience (CLBS -$1.34 or -25.09%)> resides front and center as the sector reacts to uncertainties
It’s not totally about putting “lipstick on a pig” but, diabetes’ clinical trials haven’t produced a lot of recent success
Pre-open indications: 6 HITs and 1 MISS (by -$0.02)
It’s not hard to be right so often; that’s why the term “quantamental,” a blend of the two styles, may soon become common parlance among investors and traders.
There are a variety of end uses to sector forecasts; Friday’s session will establish whether market reaction to a recent events is temporary and short-lived, or if this is the start of a more fundamental correction. The usual wildcard is to announce a miss of clinical data as share pricing has been percolating on the low end of the spectrum while most of the RegMed equities are … way below I-Bank targets … and they still haven’t re-adjusted which they won’t to maintain banking relationships!
Markets and indexes:
- The Dow closed down -103.88 points or -0.41% to 25,439.39
- The S&P closed down -7.30 points or -0.27% to 2,745.73
- The NASDAQ was up +6.58 points or +0.09% to 7,426.96
The sector slips with uncertainty in the air!
The S&P 500 and Dow closed lower on Thursday following the release of much weaker-than-expected retail sales data as the NASDAQ eked out a gain.
The three major indexes are all up at least 1% through Thursday's close.
Pre-open post, “another missed data event as a hammer falls … One of my focuses is indication analysis. An indication can be a development of almost any kind and many not of good timing.
- Caladrius Biosciences (CLBS) reported top-line data of a 1-year follow-up data CLBS03’s P2b that was well tolerated at the doses tested in the study; however, there was NO improvement in the primary endpoint of preservation of C-peptide levels vs. placebo at 1 year was observed at the group level. There is a negative -$1.22 or -22.86% aftermarket indication.
Pre-open indications: 6 HITs and 1 MISS
- blue bird bio (BLUE) closed down -$1.33 - hit;
- Caladrius Biosciences (CLBS) closed down -$1.34 - hit;
- CRISPER Therapeutics (CRSP) closed down -$0.18 - hit;
- Editas Medicine (EDIT) closed down -$0.09 - hit;
- Intellia therapeutics (NTLA) closed up + $0.14 - hit;
- Solid Biosciences (SLDB) closed down -$0.56 – hit;
- Verastem (VSTM ) closed down -$0.02 – miss;
The advance/decline line scenario of 45 covered companies:
- The open was negative with the A/DL to 15/29 and 1 flat;
- The mid-day was negative with an A/DL of 17/27 and 1 flat;
- The close was negative with an A/DL of x/25 and 1 flat;
Bouncing to the upside:
- ONCE (+$1.18), RGNX (+$1.10), VCEL (+$1.09), RARE (+$0.69) and SAGE (+$0.46 after Wednesday’s +3.74)
Leading the pack and peers to the downside were:
- BMRN (-$1.78), IONS (-$1.68 after Tuesday’s +$0.88), ALNY (-$1.36 after Tuesday’s +$0.56), CLBS (-$1.34) and BLUE (-$1.33)
Closing FLAT … CLLS
Tonight’s percentage (%) indicators:
- Range of the 16 upside was +0.26% (BCLI) to +6.02% (VCEL) while the 28 downside ranged from -0.09% (VYGR) to -25.09% (CLBS) with 1 flat close (CLLS).
- 4 out of the 16 upside had higher (than the 3 month average) volume
- 3 out of the 28 downside experienced greater volume (than the 3 month average)
Daily volume metrics:
… Greatest volume (descending) to the downside:
- HSGX, VSTM, SLDB, XON and BMRN
… Upside volume was weighted to:
- SGMO, VCEL, RARE, ONCE and SAGE
The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) indicator:
- Thursday was up +0.43% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Wednesday was up +0.30% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Tuesday was up +1% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Monday was up +0.50% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Friday was up +0.63% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Last Thursday was down -2.50% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
Thursday closed NEGATIVE with 28 decliners, 16 advancers and 1 flat;
Wednesday closed NEGATIVE with 25 decliners, 19 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed POSITIVE with 11 decliners, 33 advancers and 1 flat;
Monday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 30 advancers and 1 flat;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 18 decliners, 25 advancers and 2 flat;
Thursday closed NEGATIVE with 37 decliners, 7 advancers and 1 flat;
Wednesday closed NEGATIVE with 24 decliners, 20 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed NEGATIVE with 26 decliners, 15 advancers and 4 flat;
Monday closed POSITIVE with 16 decliners, 27 advancers and 2 flat;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 29 advancers and 2 flat;
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.