March 11, 2019 10:34pm
Cowen conference was a busy day of companies showing their depth
Q4 and FY18 results: Cellectis (CLLS)
Pre-open indications: 5 HITs and 1 MISS
It’s not hard to be right so often, it’s about refining expectation, defining insight and NOT being indentured to ANY financial institution!
That’s why my “quantamental” blend of styles; must become the “tool” for investors and traders to portfolio enrichment.
Markets and indexes:
- The Dow closed up +200.64 points or +0.79% to 25,650.88
- The S&P closed up +40.23 points or +1.47% to 2,783.30
- The NASDAQ was up +149.92 points or +2.02% to 7,558.06
The sector closed three (3) session winning streak with five (5) closes and two (2) negative closes in March
Pre-open post, “pushing equities to the upside; one stock at a time while indications are shaky …There are sessions where data is conflicted and gut instinct is in.”
In a bigger perspective, my expectation remains for the sector is get back to a balance in value.
However, short and near-term expectations remain in a bit of limbo. The depth of this upside is probably short-term. But I still cannot rule it out the after every big swing – Icarus flies a little too close to the sun and we might NOT hold enough of the upside to Friday.
Unfortunately, this is what makes MY predictions so treacherous, and why it is so risky to believe in a greater upside.
The advance/decline line scenario of 45 covered companies:
- The open was positive with the A/DL to 26/13 and 6 flats;
- The mid-day was positive with an A/DL of 30/14 and 1 flat;
- The close was positive with an A/DL of 37/7 and 1 flat;
Pre-open indications: 5 HITs and 1 MISS
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY) closed up +$4.58 – hit;
- Stemline Therapeutics (STML) closed down -$0.57 – miss;
- BioTime (NYSEMKT: BTX) closed up +$0.15 – hit;
- bluebird bio (BLUE) closed up +$8.18 – hit;
- Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT) closed up +$1.25 – hit;
- ReNeuron (RENE.L) closed up +$2.00 – hit;
Q4 and FY18 results:
Cellectis (CLLS) net loss was $23 M (or $0.53 per share) for Q4 and cash position of $452 M. The net loss was $79 M (or $1.93 per share) for FY18.
Bouncing to the upside:
- BLUE (+$8.18), SAGE (+$4.66), ALNY (+$4.58), IONS (+$3.46) and QURE (+$2.83)
Leading the pack to the downside:
- STML (-$0.57), VCEL (-$0.19), CUR (-$0.065), MESO (-$0.04) and MDXG (-$0.037)
Tonight’s percentage (%) indicators:
- Range of the 37 upside was +0.17% (ONCE) to +11.45% (BTX +$0.15) while the 7 downside ranged from -0.25% (BCLI) to -11.44% (CUR).
- 11 out of the 37 upside had higher (than the 3 month average) volume
- 3 out of the 7 downside experienced greater volume (than the 3 month average)
The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) indicator:
- Monday was up +2.14% after indicating a NEGATIVE -0.49% in the pre-market;
- Friday was down -0.49% after NOT indicating;
- Thursday was down -0.66% after NOT indicating;
- Wednesday was down -3.13% after NOT indicating;
- Tuesday was down -0.52% after NOT indicating;
- Last Monday was down -0.96% after indicating a POSITIVE +0.4% in the pre-market;
Monday closed POSITIVE with 7 decliners, 37 advancers and 1 flat;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 20 decliners, 22 advancers and 3 flats;
Thursday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 29 advancers and 2 flats;
Wednesday closed NEGATIVE with 39 decliners, 5 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday (3/4) closed POSITIVE with 17 decliners, 23 advancers and 5 flats;
Monday (3/1) closed NEGATIVE with 24 decliners, 18 advancers and 3 flats;
Friday (3/1) closed POSITIVE with 11 decliners, 32 advancers and 2 flats;
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.