July 29, 2019 8:27am
NOT a trusting sort …
As the LPS (loss-per-share) my 45 covered companies earning’s season begins today with uniQure NV (QURE) followed by eleven (11) noticed so far
News: Pfizer (PFE) will combine its off-patent drug business with Mylan (MYL) and will sell MYL’s EpiPen and PFE’s Viagra and be domiciled in the U.S. More … Exact Sciences (EXAS) has acquired Genomic Health (GHDX) for about $2.8 billion to bolster its cancer testing business. With stocks so cheap, are there more to be in “play”?
Pre-open indications: 2 BUY and 4 SELL
It's a daunting task to understand risk, seeing the unforeseen; on the basis of my own “rules”, I set-up my own “warning analysis” which isn’t machine oriented!
I make a commitment to provide need-to-know “facts in evidence” as equity’s volatility is one tactical signal for stocks.
Dow futures are UP +0.08% (+21 points), S&P futures are UP +0.03% (+1 point) and NASDAQ futures are UP +0.07% (+6 points)
U.S. stock index futures were slightly higher, as market participants braced for a likely cut in interest rates for the first time in more than a decade;
European stocks were cautiously higher as the pan-European Stoxx 600 pared early gains to trade just above the flat line mid-morning;
Asia Pacific stocks slipped as investors awaited the resumption of U.S.-China negotiations in Beijing this week amid low expectations for a major breakthrough;
Data docket: Dallas Fed manufacturing figures for July will be released at around 10:30 a.m. ET.
Market focus is largely attuned to the Fed, with policymakers at the U.S. central bank expected to announce a rate cut on Wednesday.
It is a day for caution … with MY universe releases earnings.
Q2 earnings update:
- “Our” universe earnings kick-off on today (7/29) with uniQure NV (QURE); 8/1 with Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA), Verastem Oncology,(VSTM), BioMarin Pharmaceuticals (BMRN), Ultragenyx Pharmaceuticals (RARE) and Sage Therapeutics (SAGE); on 8/2 Stemline Therapeutics (STML) pre Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY) and AxoGen (AXGN) on 8/6, Athersys (ATHX) on 8/7 and Organovo (ONVO) with Adverum Biotechnologies (ADVM) on 8/8.
From Friday’s evening post, “the sector jumps as NASDAQ records another record close. We owe today’s strength to the oversold being recognized yet sentiment is being pacified by speculation and a low volume recovery.”
• The NASDAQ was up +91.67 or +1.11% to 8,330.21;
• Friday the IBB closed up +1.07% while the XBI closed up +1.81%;
• The close was positive with an A/D Line of 32/9 and 2 flats and 2 acquired;
• Friday’s range of the 32 upside was +0.43% (BSTG +$0.01) to +34.87% (SLDB after a private placement) while the 9 downside ranged from -0.0006% (ONVO) to -37.10% (CUR);
• Friday: 7 out of the 32 upside had higher than the 3 month average volume;
• Friday: 4 out of the 9 downside had higher than the 3 month average volume;
Q3/19 so far: there were 8 positive, 1 holiday and 11 negative closes;
Companies in my headlights – It’s your decision; I provide an idea and context:
- uniQure (QURE -$1.41) earnings release this a.m. – net loss = -$31.4 M or -$0.83 per share with $184.1 M in cash and a “runway” until 2021 – with a pre-market upside of +$0.44 or +0.67% - BUY;
- Pluristem (PSTI +$-.63 after Thursday’s +$0.27 to $4.53 post 1-for-10 reverse) – SELL;
- Solid Bioscience (SLDB +$1.49 after a private placement) – SELL;
- CRSPER Therapeutics (CRSP +$2.26 after Thursday’s +$0.52) – SELL;
- Editas Medicine (EDIT +$1.26) chart looks very “peaky” – SELL;
ReNeuron (RENE.L has a pre-market pricing of +$5.52 after Friday closed flat at $230.00 and Thursday’s -$5.00) – BUY;
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.