December 12, 2019 8:15am
Anything happening without news is just speculation
Pre-open indications: let ’em ride
Don’t get comfortable, yesterday’s market’s close impacts Thursday; if you were a subscriber … you would understand why!
We crave explanations because they give us an illusion of control.
Dow futures are DOWN -0.03% (-8 points), S&P futures are UP +0.0% (+1 point) and NASDAQ futures are DOWN -0.01% (-1 points)
Dow, S&P and NASDAQ futures indicate a mixed open;
European stocks slightly higher after dovish Fed indications with UK election and European Central Bank (ECB) in focus as the pan-European Stoxx 600 edged up 0.1% in early trade;
Asia Pacific markets were mixed after the U.S. Fed signaled overnight that it would not raise interest rates in 2020.
Data Docket: weekly jobless claims and producer price index figures for November will both be released at 8:30 a.m. ET.
Market focus monitors global trade developments, with three days to go before the U.S. is due to impose even more tariffs on Chinese goods.
Voters head to the polls Thursday in the U.K.’s second general election since the landmark vote to leave the European Union in 2016.
I am ambivalent re Thursday’s sector movements … investors are getting anxious re the short-term route of the cell and gene therapy journey!
Wednesday night’s post’s title: “review the alternating December Advance/Decline lines; navigate the edges of this market to build cash positions as sentiment is constantly mutable and evolving as algorithms “rule” and the programmed machines “whir”.”
What was the “read’ on last night’s close:
- The NASDAQ closed UP +37.87 points (+0.44%);
- Wednesday the IBB closed down -0.62% while the XBI closed down -1.26% following Tuesday’s IBB close of +0.69% and the XBI closed up +1% after Monday’s IBB closed down -0.62% while the XBI closed up +0.10% = a three (3) day aggregate IBB of 2 and –0.16 of the XBI;
- The range of the 13 upside was +0.26% (BCLI) to +40.72% (BLCM) while the 27 downside ranged from -0.12% (BOLD) to -7.52% (ADVM);
- 7 out of the 13 upside had higher than the 3 month average volume;
- 9 out of the 27 downside had higher than the 3 month average volume;
Review the content of Q4’s market:
- December register 4 negative and 4 positive closes … so far
- November registered 1 holiday, 12 positive and 8 negative close;
- October registered 10 positive, 1 neutral and 14 negative closes;
Companies in my headlights – It’s your decision; I provide an idea and context:
Pre-open indications: None
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.