December 30, 2019 8:51am
Stock futures are flat as markets seem to take a breather after a record runs
Somethings going to happen versus nothing don’t expect much but, minimal moves
Welcome to my world of defining the “grey’ in our universe and I still get it right!
Stay and be open to new motivation for portfolio return from RMi
Dow futures are UP +0.08% (+23 points), S&P futures are UP +0.08% (+3 points) and NASDAQ futures are UP +0.02% (+2 points)
We’re looking at a lower opening as (I believe) as caution embraces “our” universe and indexes have seen their peaks as 2019 slowly comes to an end;
European markets trade lower as the pan-European STOXX 600 was 0.3% lower in early trades with all sectors in negative territory;
Asia Pacific markets ended mixed on Monday — the last full trading day of the year for several major markets in the region;
Data Docket: U.S. international trade and retail inventories figures for November are due to be released at 8:30 a.m. ET.
I am NOT expecting much as U.S. equities have enjoyed a strong rally in December, with the main indexes hitting record highs last week amid year-end optimism. The S&P 500 has notched five straight weeks of gains, rising 29.2% in 2019. The benchmark is within reach of a historic year, sitting less than one percentage point away from having its best year since 1997, which saw the S&P 500 climb 29.6%.
… Although market sentiment has been boosted by easing tensions over U.S. - China trade relations.
Clinical catalysts i.e. “read-outs” this week:
- Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical (RARE): P1/2 third cohort data for DTX301 in ornithine transcarbamylase,
Another session to clean-out the risk in your portfolio - very few left to swwep unless, you have been negligent!
Friday night’s post’s title: “another slippery slope and sliding sector as risk defines the investment pattern.”
- The NASDAQ closed down -15.77 points (-0.17%)
- The IBB closed down -1.02% while and XBI closed down -1.37%
- The range of the 10 upside was +0.06% (BOLD) to +7.31% (KOOL) while the 20 downside ranged from -0.20% (ALNY) to -8.27% (ADVM);
- 6 out of the 16 upside had higher than the 3 month average volume;
- 7 out of the 20 downside had higher than the 3 month average volume;
Review the content of Q4’s market:
- December registered 10 negative and 9 positive closes … so far
- November registered 1 holiday, 12 positive and 8 negative close;
- October registered 10 positive, 1 neutral and 14 negative closes;
Companies in my headlights – It’s your decision; I provide an idea and context:
Pre-open indications: I’d watch and measure after "our" sector response in light of a charging NASDAQ ther could be "a hair of the portfolio" that might be effected
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.