February 26, 2020 8:22am
Pre-open indications: BUY even as the spread of the coronavirus “clatters” markets
1st half FY2020 earnings” Mesoblast (MESO & ASX: MSB); Q4 and FY19 – Ionis Pharmaceuticals (IONS), CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP), Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT) and Regenxbio (RGNX)
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors.
Dow future are UP +0.08% (+22 points), S&P futures are UP +0.22% (+7 points) and NASDAQ futures are UP +0.27% (+24 points)
U.S. futures are lapsing, pushing and all over the map in the pre-market;
European markets continued their sell-off with the coronavirus outbreak continuing to weigh on global investor sentiment as the pan-European Stoxx 600 plummeted by another -2% early in the session;
Asia Pacific markets continued to plunge amid over the coronavirus as the Australian S&P/ASX 200 fell -2.31%, the Nikkei 225 in Japan slipped -0.79% after dropping more than -3% on Tuesday, the Topix index also saw a -0.75% decline, South Korea’s Kospi fell -1.28% while the MSCI Asia ex-Japan index was -1.35% lower.
Data Docket: mortgage application numbers
Go against the downside trend, can’t stop it and can’t go around it yet, cautious buying is in my cards, even if I am early!
Investors are constantly being updated on the coronavirus infections around the world, especially in China, South Korea, and Italy.
There are always dangers from days, weeks, months and quarters especially during earning’s season as well as end-of-year numbers.
Wednesday morning, the VIX was last at 26.62 having spiked 11% yesterday to close at 27.85, the highest close since 12/2018.
Earnings remain a key driver of individual pricing action.
Tuesday night’s title: “parabolic moves to the downside. Get all the losses out of the way by week’s end to truly appreciate a sustainable upside.”
- the NASDAQ closed DOWN -255.67 points (-2.77%)
- the IBB closed down -3.04% and XBI closed down -2.83%
- the close was negative with an A/D line of 30, 0 flat of 35 covered;
- the range of the 4-upside was +0.51% (VYGR) to +15.97% (BCLI) while the 31-downside ranged from -0.98% (FATE) to -16.99% (AXGN);
- 2 out of the 4-upside had higher than the 3-month average volume;
- 10 out of the 31-downside had higher than the 3-month average volume;
February registered 5 negative, 8 positive closes, 3 vacation days and 1 holiday – so far.
January registered 9 negative, 10 positive closes and 2 holidays.
- December register 11 negative and 10 positive closes
- November registered 1 holiday, 12 positive and 8 negative close;
- October registered 10 positive, 1 neutral and 14 negative closes;
Companies in my headlights – It’s your decision; I provide an idea and context:
- BUY: some dips especially if earnings have been announced
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.