January 24, 2022 5:13pm
The cell and gene therapy sector has been off to a rough start in 2022
Pre-open Indication results: 5 HIT and 3 MISSES
The Biostage (BSTG) Chronicles: proves how the “pimp/pump and promote” works with the shares depreciating -$1.15 with 1405 shares traded after Friday’s <read more>
If I have learned one thing as a former research analyst, venture and public markets investor then a journalist; it is that your life and your bank account are largely tied to your questioning of price movements and targets.
Who else is tracking a broad representative of cell and gene therapy equities – with facts supported by real numbers?
The Dow closed UP +99.13 points (+0.29%); the S&P closed UP +12.19 points (+0.28%) while the Nasdaq closed UP +86.21 points (+0.63%)
U.S. stock indexes plunged (1,115 points mid-day to a positive +99.13 points at close) on Monday, with the S&P 500 dived and came back along with the Nasdaq (low of 308 points at open to close up) as the prospect of a Russian attack on Ukraine posed as investors worried about monetary policy tightening by the Fed.
Monday ended up being one of the best market comebacks in quite a long time. The session marked the first time since the aftermath of the financial crisis in 2008.
- All the 11 major S&P sectors declined, with seven of them sliding more than 3% each.
- The economically sensitive small-cap Russell 2000 index slipped 2.6%. The index dropped as much as 20.9% from its Nov. 8 peak, putting it on course to confirm a bear market.
- The CBOE Volatility index - was last trading at its highest level since January 2021 (surpassing the 38 level at its intraday highs).
- As all the major indexes are trading below their 200-day moving average, a key technical level, watched by market participants.
RegMed Investors’ (RMi) pre-open: “sector equity and geo-politico risks are in focus as earnings’ season begins to unfold. A very weak pre-market indication´… https://www.regmedinvestors.com/articles/12268
RegMed/Stem/Cell and Gene therapy’s 35 covered equities’ Advance/Decline (A/D) lines: what happened …
- Monday opened negative at 4 up/30 downs and 1 acquired, stayed negative at the mid-day at 0/34 and 1 acquired, ending with a positive close of 24/10 and 1 acquired;
- Friday opened negative at 15 up/16 downs, 3 flats and 1 acquired, flipped positive at the mid-day at 7/27 and 1 acquired, ending with a positive close of 4/30 and 1 acquired;
Pre-open indication results: 5 Hits < Biostage (OTCQB: BSTG +$1.15), Cellectis SA (CLLS -$0.03), CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP -$2.35), AxoGen (AXGN +$0.34), Voyager Therapeutics (VYGR +$0.02)> 3 Miss < Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT +$1.12), Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA +$6.69), Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY +$0.12),
The Biostage (BSTG) Chronicles: shows how the “pimp/pump and promote” works with the shares depreciating -$1.15 with only 1405 shares traded, after Friday’s+$0.25 with 4,500 shares traded, Thursday’s +$0.20 with 3,941 shares traded, Wednesday’s +$0.25 1,516 shares traded and Tuesday’s -$0.00 with 8,288 shares trading.
- WHO is BUYING these shares of a company with a 2-year-old IND and NO clinical trial initiation, a terminal death suit without any insurance company coverage which was rejected to non-filing negligence by company representative lawyers?
- Just another example of a “House of Cards” – just a game of “fake it because they can’t make it?
- Overhang of non-registered PPM shares is also a factor beyond the terminal and wrongful death suit which their insurance company refused to cover or reimburse which hinders indemnification of a partner and management’s personal liabilities?
52-week lows experiences today:
- IBB hit a 52-week low of 126.73
- XBI hit a 52-week low of 87.11
- Applied Genetic Technologies (AGTC) hit a 52-week low of $1.51
- Ultragenyx Pharmaceuticals (RARE) hit a 52-week low of $65.55
- Adverum Biotechnologies (ADVM) hit a 52-week low of $1.50
- Pluristem (PSTI) hit a 52-week low of $1.49
- Sangamo Therapeutics (SGMO) hit a 52-week low of $5.58
- Regenxbio (RGNX) hit a 52-week low of $24.36
- Verastem (VSTM) hit a 52-week low of $1.43
- Solid BioSciences (SLDB) hit a 52-week low of $1.22
- Fate Therapeutics (FATE) hit a 52-week low of $36.07
- uniQure NV (QURE) hit a 52-week low of $17.71
- Precigen (PGEN) hit a 52-week low of $2.75
- Homology Medicine (FIXX hit a 52-week low of $3.31
- Cellectis SA (CLLS) hit a 52-week low of $6.50
- Editas Medicine (EDIT) hit a 52-week low of $17.60
- Monday - Sector volume was HIGH with 19 of the 24-upside having higher than the 3-month average volume with HIGH volume of 7 of 10-downside having higher than the 3-month average volume;
The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) and the SPDR S&P ETF (XBI) indicators:
- Monday the IBB closed up +0.92% and XBI closed up +2.31%
- Friday the IBB closed down -1.51% and XBI closed down -2.11%
The CBOE Volatility Index (VVIX: INDEX) tracked:
- Monday was up +1.05 points or +3.64% at 29.90
- Friday was up +3.26 points or +12.74% at 28.85
Jumping with share pricing momentum (10 of 24 from -34 at the open):
- Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA +$6.69 after Friday’s -$1.10),
- Fate Therapeutics (FATE +$2.37 after Friday’s -$1.15),
- Ions Pharmaceuticals (IONS +$1.52),
- Sage Therapeutics (SAGE +$1.45 after Friday’s -$0.61),
- Regenxbio (RGNX +$1.35 after Friday’s -$0.50),
- Global Blood Therapeutics (GBT +$1.12),
- Vericel (VCEL +$1.10 after Friday’s +$0.02),
- Ultragenyx (RARE +$0.79 after Friday’s -$1.80),
- bluebird bio (BLUE +$0.47 after Friday’s +$0.31),
- BioLife Solutions (BLFS +$0.47 after Friday’s -$0.56),
Hammered in today’s market (10 of 10):
- ReNeuron (RENE.L -$3.50 after Friday’s -$4.00),
- CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP -$2.35 after Friday’s -$1.75),
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY -$1.90),
- Biostage (BSTG -$1.15),
- Chinook Therapeutics (KDNY -$0.37),
- Pluristem (PSTI -$0.120,
- Bellicum Pharmaceuticals (BLCM -$0.04),
- Mesoblast (MESO -$0.04),
- Cellectis SA (CLLS -$0.03),
- Caladrius Biosciences (CLBS -$0.0178),
- 1 -Stemline Therapeutics (STML) – acquired
- Monday closed positive with 24 incliners, 10 decliners and 1 acquired
The BOTTOM LINE: I have kept listing the 52-week lows and they have gone lower; thus, while experiencing a rapid appreciation as the algorithms pumped the upside as the sector “royal flush” I was holding on Friday seeing the oversold get recognized.
I will admit that panic started the day … “Trust, conviction is STILL lacking as Q4 and end-of-year earnings are about to be made aware of” more than even I thought.
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY) reports Q4 and FY21 on Thursday, 2/10
Algorithms, hedge funds and traders continue to punish the cell and gene therapy stocks as valuations “creeped” up.
- Early January 2022 can deliver some gains but also generate algorithmic based losses.
Reiterating from the end of last year, 2021, “the stem, cell and gene therapy sector is still seen as vulnerable to extreme low volume moves in either direction, as share pricing risk stimulates their susceptibility!”
WHY do I keep analyzing Biostage (BSTG): When one sees an inextricable wrong and morally repulsive scenario; it takes courage, resolve and patience to stay the course of asking the questions without response!
Who is defining the metrics for investors and keeping you notified of the sector and market fluctuations? What I provide is a trusted source of share pricing intelligence – it’s more than opinion, I deal in the facts and numbers that back them up.
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.
Regulation Analyst Certification (Reg AC): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.