September 14, 2022 5:18pm
A market and sector reflex moves to the upside as I had written, “Which companies are still bleeding, changing places to the upside, responding to news flow, looking for opportunity or getting further burned?”
The Biostage (OTCQB: BSTG): the Pump/Promote of volume and pricing is back, +$0.15 with 2,101 shares traded),
Pre-open indications: 3 HITs, 6 MISS <5 with pennies’ upside> and 1 Pump/Promote
WHY and HOW is this market affecting the cell and gene therapy sector … “The Bottom Line” underlines the framework of share pricing actions.
I DEVOTE a HUGE amount of time to “reckoning” the geography of my coverage group - it’s more than opinion, I deal in the facts and numbers that back them up. Who else is tracking a broad grouping of cell and gene therapy equities – can you afford to not read facts supported by real numbers?
If I have learned one thing as a former research analyst, venture and public fund investor now a journalist; it is that your life and your bank account are largely tied to your knowledge of price movements and questioning pricing targets.
The Dow closed UP +30.12 points (+0.10%) the S&P closed UP +13.32 points (+0.34%) while the Nasdaq closed UP +84.10 points (+0.74%)
Indexes, the Dow and S&P and the Nasdaq rose slightly in choppy trading on Wednesday as investors tried to find their footing after the biggest one-day drop in more than two years.
On target quote, “Tuesday’s selloff is a reminder that a sustained rally is likely to require clear evidence that inflation is on a downward trend. With macroeconomic and policy uncertainty elevated, we expect markets to remain volatile in the months ahead,” <Mark Haefele, CIO of UBS Global Wealth Management on CNBC>
Economic Data Docket: Wednesday's inflation data was more benign, showing producer prices declined for a second straight month in August as gasoline prices fell further, but was not enough for investors to reconsider the Fed's aggressive stance.
RegMed Investor’s (RMi) Pre-Open: “after a fall on Tuesday’, there’s still blood on the street as Producer Price Index (PPI) is down -0.1%. Which companies are still bleeding, changing places to the upside, responding to news flow, looking for opportunity or getting further burned?” … https://www.regmedinvestors.com/articles/12602
RegMed/Stem/Cell and Gene Therapy’s 35 covered equities’ Advance/Decline (A/D) lines: what happened …
- Wednesday’s advance/decline line opened negative at 19 up/ 15 down and 1 flat, flipped positive with 24 up/11 down at the mid-day, ending with a positive close of 24/10 and 1 flat.
Pre-open Indications: 3 HITs <uniQure NV (QURE +$0.96), Vericel (VCEL +$0.72),Fate Therapeutics (FATE +$0.49)> 6 MISS < AxoGen (AXGN +$0.12), BioLife Solutions (BLFS +$0.26), Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI +$0.13), Caribou Therapeutics (CRBU +$0.22), Avrobio (AVRO -$0.0106), CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP +$4.64), > 1 Pump/Promote <Biostage (BSTG +$0.15 with 2,101 shares traded),
- Wednesday - Sector volume was LOW with 4 of the 24-upside having higher than the 3-month average volume with LOW volume of 0 of 10-downside having higher than the 3-month average volume
The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) and the SPDR S&P ETF (XBI) indicators:
- Wednesday, the IBB was up +0.88% and the XBI was up +1.13%
The CBOE Volatility Index (VVIX: INDEX) tracked:
- Wednesday was down -1.11points or -4.07% at 26.16
Jumping with share pricing momentum (10 of 24):
- CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP +$4.64 after Tuesday’s -$2.27 and Monday’s +$2.86),
- Beam Therapeutics (BEAM +$3.50 after Tuesday’s -$4.25)
- Verve Therapeutics (VERV +$1.840,
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY +$1.69 after Tuesday’s -$5.41, Monday’s -$11.27 and a debt security raise),
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals (IONS +$1.16 after Tuesday’s -$2.41 and Monday’s +$1.82),
- uniQure NV (QURE +$0.96),
- Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA +$0.73 after Tuesday’s -$2.05 and Monday’s +$0.76),
- Vericel (VCEL +$0.72),
- Sage Therapeutics (SAGE +$0.72 after Tuesday’s -$1.51 and Monday’s -$0.04),
- Regenxbio (RGNX +$0.49 after Tuesday’s -$2.43 and Monday’s -$0.11),
- MiMedx (MDXG)
Closing down (10 of 10):
- Ultragenyx (RARE -$0.54 after Tuesday’s -$2.97 and Monday’s -$0.46),
- Editas Medicine (EDIT -$0.13),
- Voyager Therapeutics (VYGR -$0.08),
- Fate Therapeutics (FATE -$3.53 after Monday’s +$1.02),
- Agenus (AGN -$0.05),
- Verastem (VSTM -$0.03),
- Avrobio (AVRO -$0.0106),
- Homology medicine (FIXX -$0.01),
- Applied Genetic Technologies (AGTC -$0.0023 after Tuesday’s +$0.0012 and Monday’s -$0.0127),
- Wednesday closed positive with 24 incliner, 10 decliners and 1 flat
The BOTTOM LINE: Bounce-back … I’m NOT trusting this upside; electronic trading was JUST recouping from downdraft.
I try to keep it simple … and short!
September continued with 1 holiday, 6 positive and 3 negative closes; August is over with 1 neutral, 11 positive and 11 negative closes while last week which ended the month.
As I stated, for the past sessions, “it was time to take PROFITS” …
As I continually question, “The real question that should be asked is how many companies are at the end of sentiments … leash?
Start by looking at cell and gene therapy companies trading below cash!”
Repeating myself, “I find it very interesting to evaluate share price over earnings and a shortage of revenue reporting as a proxy for share pricing performance?”
I stick to my view of anticipating the risks – as my careers focus has been “warning analysis”.
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.
Regulation Analyst Certification (Reg AC): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.