December 22, 2022 4:38pm
I would also be more than worried by … about the upcoming quarter earnings season.
Why do I keep writing this blog/newsletter; to educate and inform investors, what others won’t say or write
My guide to 'good news seems to be bad news' and 'bad news is good news. 'In normal times, no one really questions whether good news in the economy is actually good.
Amid the ongoing cell and gene therapy sector volatility, “our” universe’s trend remains " in a constant correction." That means that investors are safer on the sidelines as again … earnings are coming.
If I have learned one thing as a former research analyst in a venture and public fund now a journalist; it is that your life and your bank account are largely tied to your knowledge of price movements and questioning pricing targets.
The Dow closed DOWN -348.26 points (-1.04%), the S&P closed DOWN -55.84 points (-1.44%) while the Nasdaq closed DOWN -233.25 points (-2.18%)
We need to understand the macro to comprehend the micro re “our” universe of cell and gene therapy companies …
Indexes fell Thursday as a year-end sell-off returned following a brief respite this week.
Must consider quote, “I’m leaning short on the equity markets. The upside/downside just doesn’t make sense to me when I have so many … central banks telling me what they are going to do.” < David Tepper, founder of Appaloosa Management, CNBC>.
So far in December, the Dow is down 5.57%, the S&P 500 -7.49% and the Nasdaq tumbled 9.74%.
Economic Data Docket: The final estimate of Q3 U.S. gross domestic product was for 3.2% annualized growth, above the previous estimate of 2.9%.
- The Labor Department said filings for state unemployment benefits rose to 216,000 last week but were below economist estimates for 222,000.
- And a third report showed the Conference Board's leading indicator, a gauge of future U.S. economic activity, fell for a ninth straight month in November.
Thursday’s … RegMed Investor’s (RMi) Pre-Open: “another shift to caution, there's still the risk that this is another trap to lure investors in just before a pullback. Some cell and gene therapy sector equities might be flashing buy signals, but in a shaky and sinking market.” … https://www.regmedinvestors.com/articles/12755
RegMed/Stem/Cell and Gene Therapy’s 35 covered equities’ Advance/Decline (A/D) lines: what happened – quite a difference …
- Thursday’s advance/decline line opened negative at 7 up/ 26 down and 2 flats, stayed negative with 7 up/26 down and 2 flats at the mid-day, ending with a negative close of 15/19 and 1 flat.
The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) and the SPDR S&P ETF (XBI) indicators:
- Thursday, the IBB was up +0.07% and the XBI was up +0.29%
The CBOE Volatility Index (VVIX: INDEX) tracked:
- Thursday was up +1.75 points or +8.72% at 21.82
Closing Down (10 of 19):
- Beam Therapeutics (BEAM -$1.82 after Wednesday’s +$1.64, Tuesday’s +$1.49 and Monday’s -$2.44),
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals (ALNY -$1.27 after Wednesday’s +$3.76, Tuesday’s +$3.48 and Monday’s -$2.85),
- Fate Therapeutics (FATE -$0.59 after Wednesday’s -$0.38 and Tuesday’s -$0.12),
- bluebird bio (BLUE -$0.29),
- Vericel (VCEL -$0.27 after Wednesday’s +$0.83, Tuesday’s +$1.02 and Monday’s -$1.72),
- Solid Biosciences (SLDB -$0.25),
- Voyager Therapeutics (VYGR -$0.25 after Wednesday’s -$0.05),
- Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (BCLI -$0.20),
- AxoGen (AXGN -$0.15),
- Intellia Therapeutics (NTLA -$0.14),
- Biostage (OTCQB: BSTG),
Closing Up (10 of 15):
- Chinook Therapeutics (KDNY +$1.80 after Wednesday’s +$0.42),
- Ultragenyx (RARE +$0.69),
- CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP +$0.66 after Wednesday’s +$1.11),
- Prime Medicine (PRME +$0.45 after Wednesday’s -$0.12)
- uniQure NV (QURE +$0.20 after Wednesday’s +$0.48, Tuesday’s +$1.08 and Monday’s -$1.16),
- Verve Therapeutics (VERV +$0.18 after Wednesday’s +$0.41, Tuesday’s +$0.54, Monday’s -$1.30),
- Sage Therapeutics (SAGE +$0.17 after Wednesday’s +$0.87, Tuesday’s +$0.47 and Monday’s -$1.77
- Compass Therapeutics (CRBU +$0.12 after Wednesday’s +$0.35),
- Agenus (AGEN +$0.12),
- MiMedx (MDXG +$0.08),
Q4 – December
- Thursday closed negative with 15 incliner, 19 decliners and 1 flat
The BOTTOM LINE: I try to keep it simple … and short!
“Uncle “algorithms swung to “take-down” Wednesdays and Tuesday’s up side equities.
Be prepared … just 6 trading days remain in 2022.
The biggest issue for the New Year is the cloud of recession overhanging the economy, market volatility that affects and effects our universe of cell and gene therapy sector equities
Avrobio (AVRO closed down -$0.0068 with 121,246 shares traded after Wednesday’s +$0.0001 with 607,023 shares traded after Tuesday’s +$0.0295 with 361,951 shares traded (says a lot of addressing the delisting issue) having filed a S-3 for $250 million common stock, preferred stock, debt securities, warrants and unit offering within draft prospectus by Cowen as stock sinks while delisting continues? Just another “screw-job” of investors! < Read, SELL and Weep - see hyperlink below> Avrobio (AVRO) files S-3 (Registration Statement) for offering with draft prospectus by Cowen … https://investors.avrobio.com/node/9116/html
· Also, RA Capital has sold its position in the company – a sign of dissatisfaction!
· While, President, CEO and director Geoff Mackay carries home a HUGE salary of $754.39 K per year?
Biostage (OTCQB: BSTG) closed $0.00 with 50 shares traded <3-month average =1,961 shares> after Wednesday’s -$0.02 with 624 shares traded, Tuesday’s $0.00 with 34 shares traded, Monday’s $0.00 to $5.82 with 8,115 shares traded, Friday’s -$0.80 to $5.85 with 8,115 shares trade and last Thursday’s $0.00 with only 100 shares traded.
As I continually question, “The real question that should be asked is how many companies are at the end of sentiments … leash?
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.
Regulation Analyst Certification (Reg AC): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.