October 12, 2023 2:00pm
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde might make for a great read, but it’s far less fun when the sector act like it’s a blueprint.
Subscription is coming, it’s not conscription but, an offer to join our collective of like-minded investors!
I suggest that it is better to keep your finger on the sell button but, still keep a buy ticket in the other hand!
Never leave an investor uninformed
Remember that overnight and pre-open actions in futures don't necessarily translate into actual trading in the coming day’s session. My interpretation of the morning’s numbers is written to be informative; it’s built on what could happen or materialize
Instead of harping on NOT buying the right names at the right time or NOT waiting long enough to take profit, I suggest dropping the "shoulda, coulda, wouldas" and thinking about where your portfolio is most vulnerable!
We need to more than consider the economic environment - rising rates and inflation to comprehend the micro re “our” universe of cell and gene therapy companies …
Indexes closed positive and rangebound Wednesday as the Dow closed UP +65.57 points or +0.19%, the S&P closed UP +18.71 points or +0.43% while the Nasdaq closed UP +96.83 points or +0.71%.
Economic Data Docket: CPI and Initial jobless claims
Wednesday’s (10/11) RegMed Investors’ (RMi) closing bell: “who gives a damn? I do, as an independent and objective arbiter of share pricing facts to be entered into evidence as sector dived and markets drifted” ... https://www.regmedinvestors.com/articles/13159
Ebb and flow:
Q4: October – 3 positive and 5 negative closes
· September – 1 holiday, 8 positive and 12 negative closes
· August – 9 positive and 14 negative closes
· July - 1 holiday, 12 positive and 8 negative close
Companies in my headlights – It’s your decision; I provide ideas and context:
I post about “indication intelligence” devoting my time to collection and analysis of information to assist investors with insight into sector vulnerabilities and strengths. A dictionary definition of “indicate” refers to something less than a certainty; an indication could be a signal of being oversold or overbought, a recommendation, or grounds for inferring or a basis for believing.
I am passing on forecasting the daily indications – it’s just too mixed of some ups, downs and multiple flats i.e., going nowhere …
The BOTTOM LINE: The 6 W’s: Who, what, where, when, why and what of it … the real question is what to do in a volatile market!
- The key to portfolio performance is trading the ups, building cash position; buying the lows so they can eventually be the overbought through unbridled speculation and then trade again.
- I continue to do what I always do, and that means watching what the sector patterns and markets are telling me.
- After October’s first week of 3 positive and 5 negative close in the new month.
- Remember, the closer we get to earnings releases <LPS or loss per share sweepstakes> the leaner gains or expressive losses are going to be!
- The ongoing Israel-Hamas war has raised questions of a potential oil supply crunch and a resulting rise in fuel prices if the geopolitical instability spreads to neighboring oil producers in the region.
Thoughts to live by: slow is smooth and smooth is fast ...
It’s not hard to be right so often, it’s about refining expectation, defining insight and NOT being indentured to ANY financial institution! That’s why the term “quantamental,” a blend of the two styles, may soon become common parlance among ordinary investors.
Weekly Economic Data Calendar – Thursday Economic Data:
- Consumer Price Index, month-over-month, September (+0.3% expected, +0.6% previously);
- Core CPI, month-over-month, September (+0.3% expected, +0.3% previously);
- CPI, year-over-year, September (+3.6% expected, +3.7% previously);
- Core CPI, year-over-year, September (+4.1% expected, +4.3% previously);
- Real average hourly earnings, year-over-year, September (+0.05%previously)
- Initial jobless claims, week ending Oct. 7 (214,000 expected, 207,000. previously);
What’s behind the numbers: uncertainty
- A weak aftermarket
- Economic/inflation releases
- A sentiment factor driven by algorithms and electronic trading,
I hate to be so negative or contrarian but, this is a NO spin zone and facts are its product; I am more frequently right than consequentially wrong but, I am mostly EARLY!
- As the leading voice of cell and gene therapy investors; I am NOT always a doom and gloom analyst/journalist but a man who has been “there” (BUY, SELL, VC and operating roles) with the gray hair and a readership following with real numbers to prove it!
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives. Regulation Analyst Certification (Reg AC): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors could hold or have positions securities referred to in this publication and he will NOTIFY investors of holdings.