October 13, 2023 7:40am
As investors should be ready to expand some equities or continue to reduce exposure more
Subscription is coming, it’s not conscription but, an offer to join our collective of like-minded investors!
I suggest that it is better to keep your finger on the sell button but, still keep a buy ticket in the other hand!
Never leave an investor uninformed
8:00 a.m. edition
Remember that overnight and pre-open actions in futures don't necessarily translate into actual trading in the coming day’s session. My interpretation of the morning’s numbers is written to be informative; it’s built on what could happen or materialize
Instead of harping on NOT buying the right names at the right time or NOT waiting long enough to take profit, I suggest dropping the "shoulda, coulda, wouldas" and thinking about where your portfolio is most vulnerable!
The pre-open Dow is UP +0.16% or (+53 points), the S&P is DOWN -0.01% or (-0.25 points) as the Nasdaq is DOWN -0.28% or (-42 points)
Stock futures were slightly lower early Friday, October 13, 2023,
European stock markets were lower,
Asia-Pacific markets fell as investors digest China’s inflation and trade data for September.
We need to more than consider the economic environment - rising rates and inflation to comprehend the micro re “our” universe of cell and gene therapy companies …
Thursday, indexes closed negatively as Dow closed DOWN -173.73 points or -0.51%, the S&P closed DOWN -27.34 points or -0.62% while the Nasdaq closed DOWN -85.46 points or -0.63%
This would be the third positive week in a row for the Nasdaq, and the second straight positive week for the S&P 500. The Dow is also set to snap a string of three straight weekly declines.
Economic Data Docket: preliminary consumer sentiment data for October.
Thursday’s (10/12) RegMed Investors’ (RMi) closing bell: “RegMed Investors (RMi) Closing Bell: The Scorpion and the Frog. The parable of the Scorpion and The Frog is an animal fable which could be satirized that inflation economics cannot resist hurting the cell and gene therapy sector’s sentiment even when it is not in its own interests.” … https://www.regmedinvestors.com/articles/13161
Ebb and flow:
Q4: October – 3 positive and 5 negative closes
· September – 1 holiday, 8 positive and 12 negative closes
· August – 9 positive and 14 negative closes
· July - 1 holiday, 12 positive and 8 negative close
Companies in my headlights – It’s your decision; I provide ideas and context:
I post about “indication intelligence” devoting my time to collection and analysis of information to assist investors with insight into sector vulnerabilities and strengths. A dictionary definition of “indicate” refers to something less than a certainty; an indication could be a signal of being oversold or overbought, a recommendation, or grounds for inferring or a basis for believing.
I am passing on forecasting the daily indications – it’s just too mixed of some ups, downs and multiple flats i.e., going nowhere …
The BOTTOM LINE: The real question is what to do in a volatile market!
- The key to portfolio performance is trading the ups, building cash position; buying the lows so they can eventually be the overbought through unbridled speculation and then trade again.
- I continue to do what I always do, and that means watching what the sector patterns and markets are telling me.
- After October’s first week of 3 positive and 5 negative closes so far, in the new month.
- Remember, the closer we get to earnings releases <LPS or loss per share sweepstakes> the leaner gains or expressive losses are going to be!
- The ongoing Israel-Hamas war has raised questions of a potential oil supply crunch and a resulting rise in fuel prices if the geopolitical instability spreads to neighboring oil producers in the region.
Thoughts to live by: slow is smooth and smooth is fast
- It’s not hard to be right so often, it’s about refining expectation, defining insight and NOT being indentured to ANY financial institution! That’s why the term “quantamental,” a blend of the two styles, may soon become common parlance among ordinary investors.
Weekly Economic Data Calendar – Friday:
- Import prices, month-over-month, September (+0.6% expected, +0.5% previously);
- Export prices, month-over-month, September (+0.5% expected, +1.3% previously);
- University of Michigan consumer sentiment, October, preliminary (67.5 expected, 68.1 previously) <Josh Schafer, Yahoo! Finance>
What’s behind the numbers: uncertainty
- A weak aftermarket
- Economic/inflation releases
- A sentiment factor driven by algorithms and electronic trading,
I hate to be so negative or contrarian but, this is a NO spin zone and facts are its product; I am more frequently right than consequentially wrong but, I am mostly EARLY!
- As the leading voice of cell and gene therapy investors; I am NOT always a doom and gloom analyst/journalist but a man who has been “there” (BUY, SELL, VC and operating roles) with the gray hair and a readership following with real numbers to prove it!
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives. Regulation Analyst Certification (Reg AC): The research analyst primarily responsible for the content of this report certifies the following under Reg AC: I hereby certify that all views expressed in this report accurately reflect my personal views about the subject company or companies and its or their securities. I also certify that no part of my compensation was, is or will be, directly or indirectly, related to the specific recommendations or views expressed in this report.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors could hold or have positions securities referred to in this publication and he will NOTIFY investors of holdings.