February 28, 2019 6:02pm
… As the Advance/Decline Line (A/DL) slips 15/25 with 5 flats and volume uplifts
It’s still about choosing the right time “frame” to buy, hold or sell while bracing for anomalies
Today it was lucky to close flat than being a splat!
Pre-open indications: 5 HITs and 0 MISS
Quarterly results: UniQure NV (QURE), Intrexon (XON), Sangamo Therapeutics (SGMO) and Editas Medicine (EDIT)
Spare the SELL call, underfund the portfolio – SUBSCRIBE!
Presenting alternative hypotheses clarifies material facts and evidence available to investors. “Devil’s Advocacy” also provides greater confidence that the current sector outlook will hold-up to close scrutiny!
Markets and indexes:
- The Dow closed down -69.16 points or -0.27% to 25,916.00
- The S&P closed down -7.89 points or -0.28% to 2,784.49
- The NASDAQ was down -21.98 points or -0.29% to 7,532.53
The sector is exhibiting a pause in the upside as quarterly and FY18 results continue to upset the value location.
While indexes slipped as stronger-than-expected economic data were offset by fruitless talks between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim a.k.a. “rocket man”.
The U.S. economy grew at an annualized rate of 2.6% in Q4/18; economists expected the economy to grow at a pace of 2.2%.
Pre-open post, “what’s on the plate (?) … To be eaten or discarded. It FEELS to ME that there is WEAKNESS … in the air as traders will be picking through sprouts of short-term upside moves.”
The advance/decline line scenario of 45 covered companies:
- The open was negative with the A/DL to 8/36 and 3 flats;
- The mid-day was negative with an A/DL of 19/24 and 2 flats;
- The close was negative with an A/DL of 15/25 and 5 flats;
Pre-open indications: 4 HITs and 0 MISS
- AxoGen (AXGN) closed down -$0.092 – hit;
- Intellia therapeutics (NTLA) closed down -$0.20 – hit;
- CRISPR Therapeutics (CRSP) closed down -$1.32 – hit;
- Editas Medicine (EDIT) closed down -$0.32 – hit;
Bouncing to the upside:
- BOLD (+$2.85 after yesterday’s -$1.36), BLFS (+$1.03), QURE (+$0.76), RARE (+$0.50 after yesterday’s +$2.13 and Tuesday’s -$1.86) and SLDB (+$0.39)
Leading the pack to the downside:
- BLUE (-$5.52 after yesterday’s +$8.12 and Tuesday’s +$2.71), RGNX (-$1.51), CRSP (-$1.34), GBT (-$0.58) and BMRN (-$0.51)
- RENE.L, ONVO, CLLS, BLCM and ALNY
Tonight’s percentage (%) indicators:
- Range of the 15 upside was +0.07% (IONS) to +16.26% (BOLD) while the 25 downside ranged from -0.09% (ONCE) to -6.16% (CUR -$0.04).
- 9 out of the 15 upside had higher (than the 3 month average) volume
- 15 out of the 25 downside experienced greater volume (than the 3 month average)
Daily volume metrics:
… Greatest volume (descending) to the downside:
- ONCE, HSGX, VSTM, SGMO and XON
… Upside volume was weighted to:
- IONS, SLDB, ADRO, BOLD and RARE
The iShares NASDAQ Biotechnology (IBB) indicator:
- Thursday was down -1.23% after indicating a NEGATIVE -0.49% downside;
- Wednesday was up +1.64% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Tuesday was down -0.41% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Monday was a vacation day
- Friday was up +1.4% after NOT indicating in the pre-market;
- Last Thursday was down -1.76% and a travel and vacation day;
Thursday closed NEGATIVE with 25 decliners, 15 advancers and 5 flat;
Wednesday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 30 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed NEGATIVE with 24 decliners, 20 advancers and 1 flat;
Monday was a vacation day
Friday closed POSITIVE with 33 decliners, 10 advancers and 2 flat;
Thursday closed NEGATIVE with 22 decliners, 21 advancers and 2 flat;
Wednesday (2/20) closed NEGATIVE with 24 decliners, 20 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed NEGATIVE with 24 decliners, 18 advancers and 3 flats;
Monday was a market holiday;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 6 decliners, 38 advancers and 1 flat;
Thursday closed NEGATIVE with 28 decliners, 16 advancers and 1 flat;
Wednesday (2/13) closed NEGATIVE with 25 decliners, 19 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed POSITIVE with 11 decliners, 33 advancers and 1 flat;
Monday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 30 advancers and 1 flat;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 18 decliners, 25 advancers and 2 flat;
Thursday closed NEGATIVE with 37 decliners, 7 advancers and 1 flat;
Wednesday (2/6) closed NEGATIVE with 24 decliners, 20 advancers and 1 flat;
Tuesday closed NEGATIVE with 26 decliners, 15 advancers and 4 flat;
Monday closed POSITIVE with 16 decliners, 27 advancers and 2 flat;
Friday closed POSITIVE with 14 decliners, 29 advancers and 2 flat;
Opinions expressed are those of the author and are subject to change, and not intended to be a forecast of future events, a guarantee of future results, nor investment advice.
Whether information or intelligence is good, bad or somewhere in between; I put into context what is relevant and useful for investors. All investments are subject to risks. Investors should consider investment objectives.
Henry McCusker, the editor and publisher of RegMed Investors does not hold or have positions in securities referred to in this publication.